Latest Posts and News
HelpSmith 9.8 Released. The Ability to Generate Markdown Documentation from Your Help Projects, Improvements to the Import Feature, and More!
HelpSmith 9.7 Released. Import Markdown Files, Paste Markdown Content from the Clipboard, Generate Topic IDs Automatically, and More!
HelpSmith 9.6 Released. Insert QR and Barcodes, Easily Paste Content from Web Browsers, Set Positions of Titles for Control Annotations Manually, and More!
Full-featured Help Authoring Tool
- Multiple output formats from a single source: HTML Help (CHM), Web Help, Printed Manual, Adobe PDF, MS Word, and ePub eBook.
- Full-featured word processor: dynamic styles, variables, spell checker for different languages, and Unicode support.
- Powerful Conditional Compilation capabilities based on build tags.
- Topic templates to customize the appearance of your help file or document.
- The ability to import content from HTML, MS Word, CHM, and other formats.
- And more...
Open XML-based Help Project Format for Teamwork and Translations
The unpacked .HSMP format allows you to store your topics, templates, and project settings as a collection of individual .XML files, which gives you the following advantages:
- Collaborative working on a help project with a version control system, such as GitHub, Subversion, etc.
- Compatibility with external translation tools.
- Possibility to edit project files with a plain text editor.
- Built-in XML Source Editor.
Create Screenshots with Various Annotations Easily
- Built-in Image Tool to capture and insert screenshots.
- Various annotations for images: rectangles, ellipses, arrows, balloons, lines, text labels, control annotations for UI elements, and other objects.
- Hotspots to create clickable areas on an image to link to a topic, or to an external URL address.
- Crop Tool to modify a captured screenshot by removing unwanted parts of the image.
- The ability to capture the mouse cursor.
- Flexible settings to customize the appearance of annotations.
Generate Topic Drafts for UI Documentation Automatically
- Control annotations for user interface elements demonstrated on a screenshot.
- Automatic generation of the topic draft where you can provide a detailed description for controls.
- The ability to recognize controls on a captured window.
- Customizable style schemes for control annotations.
Create a Responsive Web Help System
- Responsive layout compatible with desktop computers and mobile devices.
- Fully customizable Header, Footer and Mobile Header areas.
- Support for Facebook and Disqus comments.
- Easy integration with a website or application.
- Built-in web server for testing a generated Web Help system on the local computer.
- Easy integration with Google Analytics.
- Automatic Google XML Sitemap generation.
- Ready-to-use design themes.
Advantages of the XML-based Help Project Format
HelpSmith Ultimate Edition allows you to use the unpacked .HSMP format for your help project which stores topics, templates, project settings, and other data as a collection of individual .XML files.
Thus, you can work on a help project collaboratively by using a modern version control system (e.g. GitHub, SVN, etc.), use external translation tools, or just edit project's files with a plain text editor.