What is HelpSmith?
HelpSmith is a help authoring tool that you can use to create CHM HTML Help files, Web Help systems, Printed Manuals, Adobe PDF documents, and Microsoft Word documents from a single source. HelpSmith includes a built-in Unicode word processor with Dynamic Styles and Spell Checker, support for Templates and Variables, Conditional Compilation, a single media repository to easily manage graphics and video files, and many other useful tools.
HelpSmith includes a modern user interface with a slight learning curve, which makes working with the help authoring tool as easy as working with a regular office application. Moreover, the "What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get" principle makes it possible for you to start writing help files and documentation without the need to deal with editing HTML or CSS code, or to learn any technical details.
With HelpSmith, you can easily integrate a compiled HTML Help or Web Help system with your desktop- or web- application and provide Context-sensitive Help. The product allows you to automatically create a header file for using in different IDEs such as C#, VB.NET, C++, Delphi, Visual Basic, and VBA.
Key Features and Benefits
- Create help files and documents in multiple formats from a single source: HTML Help (CHM), Web Help, Printed Manual, Adobe PDF, and Microsoft Word formats are supported.
- Write help topics in a full-featured word processor with a live spell checker (dictionaries for many languages are available).
- Use the possibilities of Conditional Compilation to create different versions of the same help system or document at any time.
- Use variables in the content of help topics or in any text parameter to dynamically insert names, dates, and other values into the compiled documentation.
- Insert and manage graphics and video files in your help files with a single project's media repository.
Supported graphics formats: BMP, PNG, JPEG, GIF, ICO, Metafiles (WMF, EMF);
Supported video formats: AVI, WMV, MPG, Flash (SWF), QuickTime (MP4, MOV).
- Customize the appearance of your help file or document by using Dynamic Styles and Topic Templates which can be edited in HelpSmith directly.
- Create your own or select one of the ready-to-use style schemes for your Web Help system layout.
- Insert custom HTML code in your help project: you can easily add a video from YouTube, insert Google Analytics tracking code, etc.
- Write help topics in multiple languages, thanks to the UNICODE support.
- Forget about broken links when you rename anything. HelpSmith will automatically correct all the modified references for you.
- The ability to handle large help projects that may contain a big number of topics, images and video files. HelpSmith is optimized for working with large amount of data and usage of minimal system resources at the same time.
- Use the smart Project Merge feature for collaborative working on the same help project, for translation purposes, and for creating libraries of topics and templates.
- Integrate help systems with your application and provide Context-sensitive Help. The possibility to automatically generate a header file for C#, VB.NET, C++, Delphi, Visual Basic, VBA is available.
- Automate creation of your help files by using the command line: the possibilities to replace variable values and to apply build tags are available.
- A modern user interface with a slight learning curve. Step-by-step documentation and sample help projects included.