HelpSmith - a Full-featured Help Authoring Tool with a Slight Learning Curve
HelpSmith is a help authoring tool that you can use to create HTML Help (CHM) files, Web Help systems, Printed Manuals, Adobe PDF documents, and Microsoft Word documents from a single source. HelpSmith includes a built-in Unicode word processor with Dynamic Styles and Spell Checker, support for Templates and Variables, Conditional Compilation, a single media repository to easily manage graphics and video files, and many other useful tools.
English (US), 15 MB
“We've bought HelpSmith to create a web help system for our web-based application. I could not even dream that documenting can be that easy to do. Certainly, this is the best help writing software I've ever worked with.”
— David Gates, Webmaster
Key Features and Benefits
- Create HTML Help (CHM), Web Help, Printed Manual, Adobe PDF, and Microsoft Word documents from a single source.
- Write help topics in a full-featured word processor with a live spell checker (dictionaries for many languages are available).
- Use Conditional Compilation to create different versions of the same help system or document at any time.
- Use variables in the content of help topics or in any text parameter to dynamically insert names, dates, and other values into the compiled documentation.
- Insert and manage graphics and video files in your help files with a single project's media repository.
- Customize the appearance of your help file or document by using Dynamic Styles and Topic Templates which can be edited in HelpSmith directly.
- Create your own or select one of the ready-to-use style schemes for your Web Help system layout.
- Insert custom HTML code in your help project: you can easily add a video from YouTube, insert Google Analytics tracking code, etc.
- Write help topics in multiple languages, thanks to the UNICODE support.
- The ability to handle large help projects that may contain a big number of topics, images and video files. HelpSmith is optimized for working with large amount of data and usage of minimal system resources at the same time.
- Use the smart Project Merge feature for collaborative working on the same help project, for translation purposes, and for creating libraries of topics and templates.
- Integrate help systems with your application and provide Context-sensitive Help. The possibility to automatically generate a header file for C#, VB.NET, C++, Delphi, Visual Basic, VBA is available.
- and much more...